Summer Reading

I've gotten into the swing of reading again this summer.....way into the swing of reading :P I thought I'd post what I've read and what I thought of it since I know I'll want to return to some of these and I want to have a record. 

My Antonia, by Willa Cather: 
This is one of my favorite Cather novels. I like happy endings, and this is one of her happier ones. 

The Lost Lady:
 interesting, beautiful writing as usual. Melancholy and not my favorite plot,  but one of her most fascinating novels. 

Death comes For the Archbishop: 
incredible.

The Professor's House: 
Beautiful work on a life of regret.

Shadows on the Rock:
A beautiful work on the settlement of Quebec. Lovely writing as usual but not my favorite plot. 

Lucy Gayheart: 
Masterful juxtaposition of joy and sorrow and coming of age story. 

Saphira and the Slave Girl: 
Psychologically fascinating. I feel certain Cather will be one of America's most celebrated authors.

The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell:
poor style, especially coming straight from Cather but interesting plot and dealt with some meaningful questions. A bit crude for me in every sense. The dual timeline seemed a bit like trying too hard, and the climactic moment as well-a clear message. Overall enjoyed but it should have been a draft, not a finished product.

Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoyevsky:
Happy to have it crossed off my list. If i re-read, it will not be for a long time. It's worth it but not accessible or enjoyable for me.

Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy:
Will re-read soon! So much depth of plot, characters, and meaning. Beautiful and poignant writing throughout. Hardly a dull moment. 

The Man who was Thursday:
An unusual book from Chesterton. Definitely a riot and overall good and enjoyable. Reminded me in parts of That Hideous Strength.

At the Back of the North Wind
More poem than novel, too opaque and seemingly aimless for me, like much of MacDonald's books. Good stuff, they tell me, but not my type. 

Persuasion
Erg. Good, but erg. I have no patience for the characters in this story.

Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers
Another thoroughly enjoyable tale of life in Edinburgh as usual from  Alexander McCall Smith.

A Good Man is Hard to Find and other stories
No. I'm either missing the point of O'Connor or I don't like the point of O'Connor, which as far as I can tell, seems to be to make you hate humanity in general and yourself as part of humanity. 

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel
A compelling and gripping read. I enjoyed almost every minute of the read but it fell flat in terms of impact. There was nothing in plot intricacy or deeper meaning/thought provoking that makes me want to re-read.

Some honorable mentions from children's literature. I won't be listing every children's book I read obviously, but I wanted to include a couple I was particularly impressed with.

Burt Dow, Deep Water Man by Robert McCloskey:
Super fun book with beautiful illustrations. 

Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey:
Beautiful writing, beautiful illustrations, achingly poignant. Must read.

The Complete Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem:
I loved these books growing up, though there are quite I few I hadn't read yet. I'm enjoying them just as much now. A sort of a mix between Beatrix Potter and Redwall, they are full of beautiful illustrations and stories centered around communal life and seasonal feasts and celebrations. 

The Wolf, The Duck, and the Mouse by Mac Barnett:
Funny and cute story that really found a spot in my heart. I will probably get this one for our home library.

Comments

Popular Posts